Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Time To Grow Up (Notes from Chapter 5)

"Either they speak like I' a little baby who can't understand the stupidest thing, or they gaze at me with the weight and sadness of the world behind their eyes, making me feel so confused I wish they'd just shut up."

I connected with this quote because my family does that to me as well. Whenever something bad happens in the family, they try to make it sound all fine and great, but I really understand what's going on, and the down talking just makes me feel more upset. Some of my family members will also try to tell me things and just look at me with tears in their eyes, trying to talk to me like an adult, and usually those are the times I feel smallest. I always used to want my family to look me in the eye and talk to me like an adult, but now I'm not so sure that's exactly what I want. I wish that people knew when the right time was, but that's too much to ask. I guess I need to learn how to handle difficult situations, just like Nadira's, and be able to handle the weight and sadness of the world in someone's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment